Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replaced hard drive bracket. Now MBP acts like an "infant"

Hello Everyone! A month ago my MBpro had some error message and immediately turned itself off. Then when I powered it back on, I just got a grey screen with the icon and a status bar, but it got stuck there. I took it to the Genius Bar and the gent there suggested that I replace my hard drive bracket. Since this is a mid-2009 machine, Apple didn't have the part. So he told me to buy it new online from a 3rd party provider. I found it on Amazon for about $30. We replaced it and it started back up again. However now I keep getting messages that my browsers are out of date. I ran the "software update" several times and it says all is up to date. Firefox won't run (just a blank screen when it opens) and neither will Chrome. Safari is the only one, but I get warning messages from sites I visit that my browser is out of date. Also, the thumbnails I see on my desktop will not display when I open them up in "Preview". Any ideas? My machine stats:

Model 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

OS X 10.6.8

Safari 5.1.10

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 4:16 PM

1 reply

Sep 1, 2015 4:25 PM in response to jetsforfun

Yes, Safari is out of date and can't be updated without updating the OSX. You Mac supports Yosemite but yo may need more memory. Apple says yo need 2 GB but it will be slow with only 2 GB. To upgrade memory:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3

FireFox and Chrome should run on 10.6.8.

Run this and post the results here so we know more about your configuration.

EtreCheck

This is the Mac Pro desktop forum. I requested your post be moved to the MacBook Pro laptop forum.

Replaced hard drive bracket. Now MBP acts like an "infant"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.