Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule & old AirPort Extreme Base Station on the same network

I have the main Time Capsule (A1409) connected to the router. But I want to use the AirPort Extreme Base Station (A1034) as an extender and connect a USB printer to it.

Is it possible to run these 2 on the same network? I am using Airport Utility 6.3.5

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 6:47 PM

2 replies

Sep 1, 2015 6:54 PM in response to _Jman_

No.. the airport extreme is too old.

If you wired it with ethernet you could do it.. but you would also need the old v5 airport utility.

There are ways and means around all of this but if you are hoping to get reliable connection to a USB printer which is never easy.. I strongly recommend you buy a cheap second hand N wireless extreme from ebay.. or N wireless express..

A gen4 or gen5 AE matches very well to your Gen4 TC (it is really a Gen5 AE with hard disk). and you can then use it in wireless extend..

Sep 1, 2015 7:09 PM in response to _Jman_

The short answer is that this is not really feasible. That being said, it is possible to run the Time Capsule and older version of the AirPort Extreme on the same network.......but.....and this is a big BUT.......

1) The AirPort Extreme cannot wirelessly extend the signal from the Time Capsule. It can only do this if it connects to the Time Capsule using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection......

AND

2) You must use a Mac running an older operating system like Leopard (10.5.x), Snow Leopard (10.6.x) or a PC with AirPort Utility installed on the device to be able to configure the older AirPort Extreme.

All things considered, It would be far better to sell the old AirPort Extreme....it might bring $10 or $15.....and add a new....or even a used recent model of the AIrPort Express or AirPort Extreme.....which can be configured with the Mac that you have running Mavericks or Yosemite. The extending device can be configured to either wirelessly extend the signal from the Time Capsule or connect using an Ethernet cable connection.

Time Capsule & old AirPort Extreme Base Station on the same network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.