Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

URGENT and IMMEDIATE help required for system hang and continuous restart

Hello Genuius,

Lately, I am not getting much help from the discussion forum here and I am in Binghamton (New York), where apple support center is not available. Request you help as I am totally in the worst nightmare with regard to this machine (Macbook Pro 2011 late).

This powerful machine has lately showing a strange behavior. When I open heavy task application like many tabs in safari, browsing google maps fast , writing some development code (I am software developer, so need to use IDE like XCode , Eclipse, Android Studio , Qt Creator etc frequently ), the system hangs. It actually happens in the following sequence.

1> As soon as system getting overloaded with task, the screen becomes half horizontally. What this means is the right end of what our general desktop looks like shifts to the middle of the screen and the other half of the screen rolls around and fills from the right side of the screen. So it like, a film roll which getting shifted by half screen size to its right.

2> Now, when this happens, the cursor becomes busy and its not the general busy sign of busy beach ball but some kinda elongated long and heavily pixelated straight line vertically ( although I could see its busy cursor because of the color).

3> As I struggle with the system to get into normal state, most of the time, the screen goes white (all white like starting screen) and when this happens CPU overloads (I can say this because of the fan sound).

4> Finally it restarts and when it comes up, it keeps restarting again and again until after some 2-3 hours, it will finally boot once with all system has been reset (Application window states its Loading application etc).

I am in desperate help cause this is my only machine and I have a lot of work to do / done in here and can't migrate elsewhere, so please provide the solution for the issue. I have done PRAM reset , SMC reset etc which was known to me but as of now no use.

My system details.

Macbook Pro Late 2011 , i7 Quad Core , 16 GB RAM

OS-X Yosemite

Version 10.10.5

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Blackout

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 6:22 PM

8 replies

Sep 1, 2015 7:20 PM in response to Kappy

The closest to Binghamton NY of any kind (with Mac service) appears to be the genuine Apple Store in Syracuse (64 miles away), according to this:

https://locate.apple.com/service/?pt=4&lat=42.098702&lon=-75.912543

Have you seen the details of this possibly-applicable recall program?

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

You could consider calling the national number and asking for a courier pack to send it to a depot. This tends to take 5 days or more.

As a Developer, you may have access to additional support options that I have not kept up with. The one everyone always raved about was (discount) equipment purchase program. Maybe you could use an additional Mac for redundancy?

Sep 1, 2015 8:11 PM in response to hprem

Thanks Kappy and Alder, for your prompt response.

Yes, the closest one is at Syracuse and it is quite a distance from here. Yes, I am a software developer but current I am a student here at university and don't have an additional luxury to look for redundant machines around. The known problem link that you have shared appears to be exactly what I am facing. It is distorted video and restart. Probably it is effected system but as I try to check with serial number, if won't say anything.

Also being student, can't afford to let the system go for 5 day or so as the assignments mount over and again the cost an all is unaffordable for me at this worst situation.

However, I am looking more towards the potential solution for this problem. If any of you have faced this issues and have resolved or looked upon it. Kindly share your experiences. It may not have worked for you but it might work for me.

Thank You all,

Prem

Sep 1, 2015 8:58 PM in response to hprem

If yours fails their diagnostic, they replace the motherboard. We are not talking about flipping a few bits and all is well.

Some users got some relief by using a third-party Utility -- gfxcardstatus -- to restrict graphics to the on-chip graphics. This precludes using external display, but may keep it going until you can get a break to get it fixed.

https://gfx.io

Your visit to the genius Bar at a genuine Apple store for an evaluation is FREE with appointment, in warranty or out.

Sep 1, 2015 9:23 PM in response to hprem

Yes, the problem is in the discrete graphics chip.

There are some theories on this forum and others about this issue. The one with the best traction is that the discrete graphics chip sometimes gets too hot. So hot that its contact with the motherboard may occasionally be compromised in some way. (Perhaps the surface-mount solder partially melts and changes the resistance on some of the lands, or one or more of them opens up.) Readers have reported that replacing the chip and getting a new one soldered in its place (a specialized job for these surface-mount components) seems to completely cure the problems in the 2010 model. But that just re-soldering the old chip does not cure the problem for very long.

There is not so much consensus on the later models involved. Nor has that solution been refuted or a different failure mechanism been proposed 'out in the open'.

The diagnostic they have been running in the store is nicknamed the Graphics Switching Test (GST). After it completes (they can run it for you on-the-spot) it puts up a full screen PASSED or FAILED Banner page. Failed and Apple will replace the motherboard for free, if you meet all the other requirements of the program.

Passed and you do not have the recall-specific problem. (You may have another problem, but standard Warranty and Applecare applies for getting it fixed.)

Sep 2, 2015 8:01 AM in response to hprem

Wow thats tons of internal info there.. How did you get that?

Owning a similar model MacBook Pro, being interested in diagnostics and Hardware, reading everything I could find on the subject, knowing enough about similar issues to do some reasonable-ness checking and reject stuff that cannot possibly be true, then reporting back the distilled summary when you ask about it.

[can I ] run those test here

To the best of my knowledge, Apple has not released that test. They only run it at Apple Stores and Apple-Authorized Service Providers. The training on these issues has not been uniformly good -- you may need to club them on the head with a paper copy of the recall notice, and get them to look it what they are supposed to do in what order.

URGENT and IMMEDIATE help required for system hang and continuous restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.