Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encode a quicktime (hdv codec) with CEA-708 closed caption?

I need to encode a Quicktime movie with hdv codec and closed caption in CEA-708.

I'm using compressor. I add the .scc file and apparently it encodes in CEA-608 but the TV station where I have to deliver the video cannot read the closed caption, so is there a way to encode a quicktime movie with hdv codec and captions in CEA-708?

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 5:51 PM

3 replies

Sep 3, 2015 12:02 PM in response to Russ H

I'm not aware that HDV supports closed captioning. Not sure you can do it. HDV, are you sure? That's a very, very old, outdated codec. What exact wording does the station use for what codec you're supposed to deliver in? I'm sure it isn't "HDV codec". Maybe "A high definition codec", which is not "HDV".

Sep 3, 2015 12:38 PM in response to BenB

These are the specs:

Accepted file format: Apple Quicktime (.mov) - *Please do not zip your files*

HD Spots: (ALL HD SPOTS NEED TO BE SD TITLE SAFE)

Codec: HDV 1080i60

Frame Rate: 29.97 Frames Per Second

Resolution: 1440x1080 (16:9)

Audio Format: Sound Linear PCM

Sample Rate: 48,000 khz

Level: No higher than -12db

Closed Captions: Captions should be embedded using the EIA 608/708 Broadcast Standard (not DVD or

Web)

Naming Convention: Insure that file name contains Business Name (may be abbreviated or just initials),

Spot name, Length of spot and HD* or SD (ex. JoesCars_MemDaySale_30_HD.MOV) – Use underscores

instead of spaces

Please include 5 seconds of slate, 2 seconds of Pad (Black) at beginning of spot and 2 seconds of Pad

(Black) at end of spot

*If spot is to be aired in HD this MUST be indicated in the file name and the traffic instructions or the spot

will be aired in SD

IMPORTANT: Please send individual files for each spot (don't include all spots in a single file).

Also, spots must be MOV files, do not Zip your files)

Encode a quicktime (hdv codec) with CEA-708 closed caption?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.