Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have MacPro mid 2010 with updated Yosemite, bootcamp 5.1.4(500), Win8.1 on bootcamp, and I meet and exceed all requirements to upgrade to Win10 by large margin. Why can't I get bootcamp 6? Do I need it to upgrade to Win10?

I have MacPro mid 2010 (4.5 yr old computer) with updated Yosemite, bootcamp 5.1.4(500), Win8.1 on bootcamp, and I meet and exceed all requirements to upgrade to Win10 by large margin. Why can't I get bootcamp 6? Do I need it to upgrade to Win10?

What I have:

Yosemite 10.10.5 (14F27)

2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072 MB

+added 4 usb3 ports

According to Microsoft I can upgrade since I meet all the spec requirements. As I see it, apple dose not let me because I can't get Bootcamp 6. I would like to upgrade form Win8.1 anyway, with bootcamp 5.1.4(500), but I'm afraid that it may mess up my computer and will need to reinstall Win8.1 and lose all my programs and information. What do I do? I don't think it is right to have to buy a new MacPro ($6000-$7000) because apple dose not want to support an old but still great and compatible computer.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 7:08 PM

3 replies

Sep 1, 2015 8:09 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

By meet Win10 spec. I mean that I have passed the min requirements for Win10 according to Microsoft:

• Processor:1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
  • RAM:1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
  • Hard disk space:16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
  • Graphics card:DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
  • Display:800x600

All other requirements are met since I am running Win8.1. I just need bootcamp 6 to officially run Win10 if it can't run with bootcamp 5.14(500). I don't mean to or want to get into why apple made the dissuasion it has, I am sure that they had their reasons, I am just looking for help in fixing this issue of upgrading to a better system (compared to Win8.1, supposedly) without having to buy a new computer.

Reading my original post, that last sentence dose feel a bit accusatory toward Apple and for that I apologize, I did not mean for it to sound that way. Although, in retrospect, a month old computer can be called old depending on who you talk to (lol, that was a joke by the way).

Sep 2, 2015 5:50 PM in response to squall20202

I guess quite a lot of Mac users are in a similar situation. So if there is no urgent need for you to install Windows 10, best thing might be to wait a bit and monitor which issues are reported (i.e. driver compatibilities) on forums.

Might be that the release of El Capitan improves the situation: Will Macbook Air (mid 2011) get bootcamp 6 update?

I have MacPro mid 2010 with updated Yosemite, bootcamp 5.1.4(500), Win8.1 on bootcamp, and I meet and exceed all requirements to upgrade to Win10 by large margin. Why can't I get bootcamp 6? Do I need it to upgrade to Win10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.