Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open Pages file

When I attempt to open a particular Pages file, I get the message, "You need a newer version of Pages to open this document." I am using the latest version of Pages (vs.5.5.3) so that's not the cause of the problem. I suspect the file is corrupt because of two things. (1) When I put the file in iCloud and then attempt to open it from there, I get the message "This document cannot be opened." (2) I noticed that when I do a right-click on the file, one of the choices is "Show Package Contents" but that choice is not present with any other Pages file.

I went into Time Machine to try to find an older version of the file but I don't have one.

Any suggestions as to how to retrieve this file and get it to open?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 7:02 PM

3 replies

Sep 2, 2015 6:25 AM in response to Jerry Johnson

Hi Jerry,

"You need a newer version of Pages to open this document."

Perhaps you are accidentally launching an older version of Pages that is unable to open a Pages 5 document.

See here:

Wayne Contello has written a User Tip for working with the old and new versions of iWork.

Need newer version of Numbers to open file

That applies to Numbers, Pages and Keynote.

Regards,

Ian.

Sep 2, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Jerry Johnson

The simple fact is that Pages v5.5.3 is dumber than a box of rocks. I have this problem periodically where I double-click on a document created by Pages v5.2.2 (and v5.5.3) and get the message you got. I resort to opening with a right-click on the document and the open with Pages (default) (5.5.3) menu item. I also find that this inability to open its own files eventually lapses on its own. It is the price one pays for using this application.

Can't open Pages file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.