Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions

I just read an article in, Mac World UK, about file storage, defragging, and computer speed. Of course, the article indicated that MACs write files differently. So, they do not need to be defragged (unless you are writing a crap ton of video, audio, and image files to your disc - then, MAYBE doing it might help at some point). But it mentioned fixing permissions. I get how it's done, with the .bom file. But why/how do the permissions change from their original settings, in the first place. The article just said through NORMAL usage. What does that mean? What's actually going on inside my computer?

iMac, iOS 8.4.1, using safari

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 7:46 PM

3 replies

Sep 2, 2015 8:16 AM in response to hat_tip77

Although it’s immensely popular, repairing permissions is pointless unless you have a specific indication of a permission error involving system files, which is rare, or a startup failure. It has traditionally spewed bogus warning messages that mean absolutely nothing.

The built-in help for Disk Utility reads in part:

If you see an alert or a message that says your permissions are set incorrectly, you can correct the disk’s permissions by clicking Repair Disk Permissions.

It’s justifiable, though rarely necessary, to repair permissions after running a third-party software installer, as defective installers have been known to damage the permissions of system files.

Mercifully, permission repair will be abolished in OS X 10.11 ("El Capitan"), so people who now repair permissions can find a more productive use for their time.

Sep 2, 2015 8:40 AM in response to hat_tip77

You should contact Macworld with your question, they wrote the article therefore they would know what they intended.

Also, chances are you may be overthinking this. Why not simply use your computer and if you run into a permissions issue you will know soon enough and then with the knowledge you now have you can easily fix any issue. However I suspect you likely will not have any permissions issues.

Permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.