Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro 13-inch mid 2012 not installing windows 10, why ?

hi, I have MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), so I have to able to install windows 10 on this device, right ? when I am going to bootcamp assistant just I have windows 7 or later options and it is not going to install windows 10, why ?

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.4.1, mid 2012

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 12:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2015 8:01 AM

Have you updated Book Camp Assistant?

Use Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support

16 replies

Sep 2, 2015 6:16 AM in response to khavariali

I have a late-2012 MBP Retina 13" (OS X 10.10.5) and was presented the same options for Windows 7 as you mentioned in Bootcamp Assistant. However, I used my Windows 10 Pro 64bit ISO file to create a Windows 10 Installer USB thumb drive (16GB) and Windows 10 installed fine on Bootcamp via the Assistant.

Sep 2, 2015 8:42 AM in response to Loner T

Yes, I used BCA to create my Windows 10 installer for a "clean" install of Windows 10 which includes the Bootcamp 6 drivers. A friend told me a clean install works with this type of installer because when I created the ISO file, I used the MediaCreationToolx64 from Microsoft. Then, after upgrading from Win7 to Win10 this installer will work without the need to activate.

And to your point, I already had Windows 7 Pro installed and used the MediaCreationToolx64 from Microsoft to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 64bit. Then used a method you provided in some other post about getting the Bootcamp 6 drivers from BCA to run in Windows 10. I believe after the upgrade, my Mac's hardware registered with Microsoft so that I can use my Win10 installer from above to do a clean install and not worry about activation as it will be automatic.

Sep 3, 2015 5:30 AM in response to khavariali

Exactly what Loner T said.

Unless you already have a Windows 10 product activation key, you have to upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 in order to activate your free copy of Windows 10. This registers the machine's hardware so you can do clean installs without an activation key. Then you can create a new Windows installer using your Windows 10 iso file and Bootcamp Assistant; then do your clean install.

Sep 5, 2015 4:45 AM in response to khavariali

If you install windows 10 as a "clean install" without upgrading first, your win10 version wont be activated unless you buy a new win 10 license. If you already own win 7 or 8.1 you must UPGRADE from that activated version to properly activate YOUR windows 10 license.

What Microsoft has done with windows 10 to allow the "upgrade" thing, is that when you upgrade a proper activated win 7 or 8/8.1 license to windows 10, their (microsoft) servers will save your hardwareID (from your macbook or whatever computer you use) as a ID saying your windows 10 license is genuine.

If you dont do this FIRST, then you have to purchase a new license.

So - Proper way to get a free license of win 10 is : Install win7/8/8.1 -> THEN upgrade to win 10. After win 10 is saying "genuine" and are activated, you can delete the whole bootcamp partition from OSX and create a new win 10 bootcamp installation from scratch. It will then check your HardwareID (as described above), then determine that "Hey, your hardwareID is genuine" and then its activated 🙂

C

Macbook pro 13-inch mid 2012 not installing windows 10, why ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.