Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

formating endnote citation

I am using pages 5.5.3 and EndNote X7 with the plug in. I am not given an option to format the inline citation for my added EndNote. I would like to have a superscript number at the end of the sentence, but that option is no where to be found. Am I missing something?

thanks for you help!

iMac, pages 5.5.3

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 8:19 PM

2 replies

Mar 12, 2017 8:56 PM in response to AMJNY

perhaps there's no solutions right now

i contacted Endnote and Papers3 consumer's service, they both told me they could do nothing except apple brought back some needed function for citation.

here is the reply from endnote consumer's service

Apple has full control over the way the EndNote plug-in works in Pages, therefore, there’s not much we could do to resolve this. I certainly do agree and understand that this is quite frustrating. Nevertheless, our Developers are in close contact with Apple with regards to this issue. We also encourage you to post your suggestions on this directly to Apple at: http://www.apple.com/feedback/pages.html

While this is only limited to Pages on Mac. Microsoft Word on Mac should work well with EndNote. I am terribly sorry that I cannot be of much help at this instance. We are limited to the service we can provide because the plug-in is not really developed by us. You can also find more details about this here: http://endnote.com/kb/107673

and here's the reply from Papers3 consumer's service

In case you're interested in the nitty gritty behind what's going on with Pages 5, Apple did not just remove Applescript in this version, they also changed the file format and they removed several features.

With Applescript gone (and then just recently only partially introduced), our only option is to hack the file format and try to reverse-engineer it, and try to inject our own stuff into it (the old file format was partly documented by Apple).

Apple decided that their users need to use EndNote with Pages, and made a deal with them to maintain the integration. Basically, Apple has been writing the code for EndNote themselves since Pages 08, and the EndNote specific menu items are Apple's work, not EndNote. Compatibility was of course present on day 1, without basically no work needed from EndNote.

Yes, we are a bit jealous; we even met with the iWork team to ask for a more general integration, and we have filed a feature request with Apple in 2010 (see here: http://openradar.appspot.com/radar?id=5267013958107136; the radar number is rdar://8258643). If you are interested in seeing Endnote-comparable functionality of Papers in Pages 5 then I encourage you to file the same bug request at https://bugreport.apple.com, and be sure to mention that it is a duplicate of bug number 8258643 (the more duplicates of these requests they get, the more likely it is to get implemented).

hope this will help you and Apple will settle down to this problem soon

Mar 12, 2017 11:12 PM in response to Dr_Young

Heaven knows where that original post was but it is 20 months old.

Be practical. Is Apple going to change course just because of you?

It has decided that professional users are a tiny percentage of its customers and have a tendency to hold Apple to its word. The vast majority of users now can barely work out what is in front of them (many could not even tell they had Pages 5 instead of Pages '09) and blame themselves rather than Apple when things don't work. So who is Apple going to target?

You or all the dumb schmucks?

All you can do is stay out of harm's way. That means steer clear of Pages 5 and 6, stick with what works i.e. Pages '09, and look for something else for the long term. Something that has a stable, parseable file format and gets some love from its developer because that developer relies on happy paying customers.

Peter

formating endnote citation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.