Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please explain? *.local, 169.254/16

It shows up in the proxy exceptions list, for BlueTooth, when I retrieve a system report from my computer. But it also shows up in the list of hosts and domains that are allowed to bypass any proxy settings in the network preferences. I'm under the impression that proxy settings can affect how the firewall works. Is this correct? If so, does the *.local, 169.254/16 protocol compromise the firewall's effectiveness? Regardless, I'd also like to why and how it shows up, in the list of hosts and domains that are allowed to bypass any proxy settings, when I left the field blank upon setting up my network connections. I know it doesn't present the type/level of threat that a shell code or a flawed kernel can... However, it looks like it enables a circular flow throw port 80, that may or may not be desirable. So please enlighten me as to what *.local, 169.254/16 is, specifically (and what it is supposed to do)? Thank you in advance.

h/t 77

iMac, iOS 8.4.1, using safari

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 11:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 4:31 PM

1.) proxies can be servers between the Internet and the intranet. So, yes they can affect the the implementation of a firewall (by making it stronger as an additional filter between the internet and the intranet.

2.) tunneling proxies can transvers some filtering systems. Possibly a firewall if the initiation of data within the proxie is on one side and the receiving point of the proxie is on the other. So, a proxie may affect the firewall that way too.

3.) The Bounjur part WAS helpful.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2015 4:31 PM in response to Linc Davis

1.) proxies can be servers between the Internet and the intranet. So, yes they can affect the the implementation of a firewall (by making it stronger as an additional filter between the internet and the intranet.

2.) tunneling proxies can transvers some filtering systems. Possibly a firewall if the initiation of data within the proxie is on one side and the receiving point of the proxie is on the other. So, a proxie may affect the firewall that way too.

3.) The Bounjur part WAS helpful.

Sep 2, 2015 8:13 AM in response to hat_tip77

I'm under the impression that proxy settings can affect how the firewall works. Is this correct?

No.

So please enlighten me as to what *.local, 169.254/16 is, specifically (and what it is supposed to do)?

Bypass the proxy when connecting to Bonjour servers on the local network, and to link-local addresses (which you would only have on an ad-hoc network without a router.) It's a normal setting that almost certainly has no effect at all. There's no reason to change it.

Please explain? *.local, 169.254/16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.