Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm new to apple products. I have some questions regarding Macbook Pro.

I'm planning to buy a Macbook Pro MD101HN/A and upgrade the RAM to 16GB and add an SSD later on (as it's cheaper than a 8GB RAM + 128GB SSD Macbook from Apple). I might need the built-in ethernet port, so thats another reason for choosing this model.

Since I haven't used a Macbook before, I'm gonna ask a few questions:

1. Regarding the display:

Does the display resolution of Macbook Pro MD101HN/A feel too low by today's standard?

Should I go with the newer model of Macbook pro or Air for a better experience?

I have never used a display with a 16:10 aspect ratio. So I need some opinion on this.

2. Regarding RAM:

If I choose to go with the MD101HN/A model of Macbook Pro and upgrade to 16GB of RAM later on, would I be able to utilize all of it? I have read on some forum that you can't actually use the whole 16GB. Is that true?

3. Regarding SSD:

Does Yosemite have good TRIM support for third party SSDs? What brand of SSDs are fully supported or compatible?

4. Regarding Bootcamp and driver support:

Do all Windows apps work fine on bootcamp? (I might need to use some Windows apps until I find Mac alternatives for every Windows software I use.)

How good is the Windows driver support on bootcamp? I'll be installing Windows 10.

5. Regarding battery:

How long would the battery (of Macbook Pro MD101HN/A) last under heavy usage? What is the minimum amount of time it would last for? (Assuming it's in good condition)

I do know that Macbooks last a long time in general. But I'm just curious. The first four questions are much more important.

I'll be using Google Chrome with lots of tabs. I'll be doing some moderate amount of multitasking. I would also be running one virtual machine or maybe two (very rarely) every now and then. Portability counts as a bonus. Which Mac laptop would you recommend?

Thank you in advance 🙂

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 2:53 AM

2 replies

I'm new to apple products. I have some questions regarding Macbook Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.