Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

should connect all my family's Apple devices to Time Capsule, as opposed to my home router?

Hi, we have two Apple laptops, iPads, IPhones and a few iPods in the household. At the moment I connect one laptop and one iPod to Time Capsule for wifi, but the rest all connect through the home router. Should they all go through the Time Capsule? I'm a ittle nervous as the wifi signal from Time Capsule seems a little weaker than that from the home router...

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2010)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 1:43 AM

2 replies

Sep 2, 2015 3:24 AM in response to emperor's new clothes

There is no need for everything to go through the Time Capsule.. unless you are having some particular issue.. which you will need to tell us.

Not all routers handle apple protocols well.. eg airplay or bonjour.

It is important for the laptops if they do Time Machine backups .. if you have issues with the TC disappearing as target disk that they connect to the TC.. either by wireless or ethernet.. Apple seem to have made some serious problems where the TC is not the main router and even in bridge still holds onto its own domain settings.

Other than that .. what is important is just that it works.. iPads and iPhones do not need the TC at all.. they cannot use it for backups.. so what is important is just connections between internet and if you are using local network for say iTunes.. that it works the way you want.

should connect all my family's Apple devices to Time Capsule, as opposed to my home router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.