Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac crashes periodically (and more frequently lately) after going into sleep mode. It restarts as a blank screen with a mouse pointer, and it requires a restart. What is going on?

When leaving the iMac for a short while, it goes into sleep mode and moving or clicking the mouse or tapping the keyboard awakens it.

In the past (and lately more frequently) when you attempt to wake it the screen appears to light up (but remains blank) and only a moveable mouse pointer appears on the screen. The only solution is to restart the computer.

What is going on?

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 11:34 PM

5 replies

Sep 3, 2015 8:51 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi. Thanks for rapid reply (and sorry for my tardy one). The one thing I forgot to say was that I run twin screens - via the monitor output to a HDMI TV. It almost seems sometimes as if it gets stuck trying to bring up the 2nd screen. When all is working properly, the main screen flickers off for a sec, then back on as the second screen comes on. I am not sure if this is an issue. But in any event, when the issue occurs, the computer hangs.

Also, the EtreCheck you mentioned - not sure what that is, or how to access it, or what information you can gather.

Thx.

MJB

Sep 3, 2015 8:53 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi. Thanks for rapid reply (and sorry for my tardy one). The one thing I forgot to say was that I run twin screens - via the monitor output to a HDMI TV. It almost seems sometimes as if it gets stuck trying to bring up the 2nd screen. When all is working properly, the main screen flickers off for a sec, then back on as the second screen comes on. I am not sure if this is an issue. But in any event, when the issue occurs, the computer hangs.

Also, the EtreCheck you mentioned - not sure what that is, or how to access it, or what information you can gather.

Thx.

MJB

My iMac crashes periodically (and more frequently lately) after going into sleep mode. It restarts as a blank screen with a mouse pointer, and it requires a restart. What is going on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.