Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone overheats during game play

This might be a dumb question but:

I recently downloaded Magic: Duels for my iPhone 6 Plus. About 2 hours into it the phone locked on the "Overheated" screen, which is cool, looking at the app reviews this seems to be a known issue. But I want to keep playing the game, so my question is: would that do any sort of permanent damage to the phone? Or should I just delete the game and forget about it until it gets fixed. To be perfectly honest I also had the phone plugged in to charge and I wonder if that contributed to the heat since I've noticed that charging the phone generates some heat when I use the phone simultaneously for streaming.

Thoughts?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 8:36 AM

2 replies

Sep 2, 2015 8:44 AM in response to acolunga1988

If it is CPU intensive it generates heat. Charging at the same time probably isn't helping. I don't know but 2 hours at that kind of thing strikes me as a long time (game playing aside 😉 ), particularly if you're holding it in warm hands and if the ambient room temperature is warm.

Heat can be damaging to electronics.

Sep 2, 2015 10:05 AM in response to acolunga1988

acolunga1988 wrote:

This might be a dumb question but:

I recently downloaded Magic: Duels for my iPhone 6 Plus. About 2 hours into it the phone locked on the "Overheated" screen, which is cool, looking at the app reviews this seems to be a known issue. But I want to keep playing the game, so my question is: would that do any sort of permanent damage to the phone? Or should I just delete the game and forget about it until it gets fixed. To be perfectly honest I also had the phone plugged in to charge and I wonder if that contributed to the heat since I've noticed that charging the phone generates some heat when I use the phone simultaneously for streaming.

Thoughts?

It will not do permanent damage if you let it cool off completely when this happens. If you have the phone plugged in when playing, don't. That will add significantly to the heat load.

iPhone overheats during game play

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.