Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where did all my disc space go?

I was editing in FCPX 10.2.1 when I got a message that I was running out of disc space on my MacBook Pro 250GB. I couldn't believe it, so I checked, and I only had 3GB of storage remaining. Some 50GB or so of apps and other stuff are on the start-up drive. I realized that my project was on the computer, so I moved it to an external hard drive, but that didn't free up any space for some reason. I went to finder>go /Volumes and I see I have some 166GB of 'other' in my User Folder on the drive. It appears in the movies tab in finder as well, but the folders there only take up a few kilobits. BTW, when I work on a project, I always select 'leave files in place' (on an external drive). So where can I find these mysterious files and delete them so I can continue working on my project?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 15" (late 2013)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 4:47 AM

GGet Daisy Disk or WhatSize to see what's taking the drugs be space and where it is.

5 replies

Sep 2, 2015 5:18 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks, Tom. I just downloaded a trial version of Daisy Disk and used 'test drive'. It tells me that 213GB is stored in my User Folder. I assume I have to purchase the app to see what exactly they are?

User uploaded file

I just figured out how to get a more detailed picture:

User uploaded file

It's definitely Movies, but I don't have a clue where they are hidden still.

Where did all my disc space go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.