Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk not ejected properly warning appears for no reason

Using a 2012 iMac running 10.10.4. I have three external disks. One is used to store Photography files, one is Photography Backup, and the last on is All Other Backup. I have had this setup since 2012. Lately, every morning when I first awaken the computer I get Disk Not Ejected Properly warnings? And the external disk in question does not appear on the desktop? I usually restart the computer. Why am I getting these notices? and why do my external hard disks disappear?

What my disks normally look like:

User uploaded file

The warning messages I get every morning:

User uploaded file

What my disks look like after the warning:

User uploaded file

Any help is appreciated, thanks, Doug

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 8:02 AM

1. From the menu bar, select

System Preferences Energy Saver

and uncheck the box marked

Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible

if it's checked.

2. Some external drives ignore the Energy Saver setting and spin down anyway. The application "KeepDriveSpinning" from developer Jon Stovell may help in that case. (Credit to ASC member dsrtmacusr for this solution.)

3. If the drives are connected to a hub, connect them to a built-in port on the computer.

4. Check the drive vendor's website for a firmware update.

5. If you installed vendor software for the drives, uninstall it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2015 8:02 AM in response to pdn_taylor

1. From the menu bar, select

System Preferences Energy Saver

and uncheck the box marked

Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible

if it's checked.

2. Some external drives ignore the Energy Saver setting and spin down anyway. The application "KeepDriveSpinning" from developer Jon Stovell may help in that case. (Credit to ASC member dsrtmacusr for this solution.)

3. If the drives are connected to a hub, connect them to a built-in port on the computer.

4. Check the drive vendor's website for a firmware update.

5. If you installed vendor software for the drives, uninstall it.

Disk not ejected properly warning appears for no reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.