Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom dictionary

Hi all,

I wanted to know if the following is a bug, a known issue or 'working as intended'.

I have my iPhone language set to "British English" although it is not my native language. I speak Afrikaans.

When I type messages to my friends and family in WhatsApp or in iMessage I use Afrikaans, so if it is a new word, I have to type it out, of course if I've used it before it appears and I can select it to autocomplete.

I noticed the following behavior.

If I switch my phone off and then back on, the dictionary remains.

If my phone dies, i.e. the battery runs out, I charge it and switch it on, the dictionary is reset and I need to start from scratch.

Please let me know what the situation around this is.

Thanks in advance

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 5:09 AM

There are no replies.

Custom dictionary

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.