Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I received a safari system virus detection computer

My computer has a system virus detection error message computer is frozen and indicates if I shut down or restart all data will be lost. The message gives 2 toll free numbers to call Microsoft technicians to rectify the situation. I have not done anything and am wondering if anyone else has received this message and what has resolved the issue. Thanks for your help!

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 6:11 AM

2 replies

Sep 2, 2015 6:27 AM in response to Renegades3

I think the obvious sign that it's a scam point toward the pop-ups telling you to call Microsoft technicians to fix the "problem" with your computer. Considering you're using an Apple computer, calling Microsoft would be like closing the barn door after the horses have escaped — pointless. Force Quit Safari, then open it in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key. Then go up to Safari --> Clear History and Website Data. After that, open up your Preferences and delete all your cookies, then go to the Extensions tab and get rid of any you don't recognize or don't remember installing. You should also install Adblock or Adblock Plus to prevent pop-ups and ads of any kind from possibly sneaking adware onto your computer, which can wreak havoc with your browser.

I received a safari system virus detection computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.