Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I replace a hard drive how do I reinstall Yosemite?

If I want to replace the hard drive on a 17 inch 2009 Macbook Pro with a solid state drive how do I reinstall Yosemite?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 7:44 AM

11 replies

Sep 2, 2015 8:18 AM in response to Westside Guy

If you have Yosemite already installed on your MBP, connect the SSD to the MBP via USB.

Open Disk Utility>Erase and format the SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Then select Disk Utility>Restore and select the internal HDD as the SOURCE and the SSD as the DESTINATION. This will copy all information from the HDD to the SSD.

Test the SSD by booting the MBP with the OPTION key. Select the SSD and if it boots tha MBP, swap the two drives.

To create a Yosemite USB installer, follow these directions:

http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/16/make-os-x-yosemite-boot-install-drive/

Ciao.

Sep 2, 2015 8:47 AM in response to Westside Guy

I think OGELTHORPE has it right:

Buy a compatible enclosure or USB adapter when you buy the new drive.

Clone the existing or, [my preference] Install anew on the new drive inside the enclosure, and boot and reboot from it until you are certain it is working the way you like. (it will be a little slow, but this is not permanent.)

THEN do the surgery to place it inside the Mac. Added feature is that any issues from the surgery are isolated -- the drive itself was working fine in the external.

Sep 3, 2015 7:48 AM in response to Westside Guy

If you search these forums. you will find many Samsung success stories and some users with poor experiences with them. The last time I looked, Samsung does not indicate compatibility with Macs for their SSDs on their web site. That plus the reported problems some have had does not allow me to endorse their use at this time.

OWC seems to get good reviews for their SSDs. I have three Crucial SSDs in my MBPs and they are working satisfactorily. An early problem with one Crucial SSD was solved by installing the newest firmware.

Ciao.

Sep 3, 2015 7:54 AM in response to Siriusic

Siriusic wrote:

I believe you can bypass all that by booting into Internet Recovery. This will download OS X Recovery (about 10 minute download) directly from Apple's servers. From there you can install Yosemite or do anything else you want.

I believe you hold Command+Shift+R for about a minute. I'll test it when I get home.

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

That may be good advice if the MBP came with Lion OSX or later. A 2009 MBP came with Leopard or possibly Snow Leopard OSX. Test first and then post.

Ciao.

Sep 3, 2015 8:52 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

MacBook after 2011 models have Internet Recovery in their firmware. Certain slightly earlier models (most 2011 models) may have a firmware upgrade available to install Internet Recovery. This allows them to start Internet Recovery from nothing (including No drive at all) provided a suitable Internet connection is available.

On a Macbook Pro such as a 2009, Recovery relies on a (usually hidden) Recovery_HD partition on the Hard drive. If the old drive is removed or completely dead, so is Recovery_HD.

If I replace a hard drive how do I reinstall Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.