Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why cant I upgrade from ios 6.1 to 7 or 8???

why cant I upgrade from ios 6.1 to 7 or 8

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 7:40 AM

5 replies

Sep 2, 2015 8:07 AM in response to gailstoy

If your device is currently running iOS 6.1.6, then its a Fourth generation iPod touch, and it simply cannot be updated to anything else, because it does not have the resources to run them. RAM, CPU, etc... simply not enough to correctly run newer operating systems.

Just like computers from 10 years ago, cannot run today's operating systems. Its just faster with small mobile devices, than computers.

Oct 10, 2015 3:53 PM in response to Phil0124

but i can't install any application . any aplication requires higher ios even i can't install facebook,youtube,google translate,whatsapp ,viber,google chrome,duolingo,we chat,tango,swiftkey keyboard,opera,google maps and many other applications . how can this happened ?! . Although i have old samsung mobile phone and i could install all these applications on it !!!!

Oct 12, 2015 8:14 AM in response to mohamed moghazie

You may be able to install compatible versions of those Apps though.

In iTunes on your computer, download the App you want a compatible version for using the same Apple Id that the device has for the App Store. For Paid Apps its best to consult with the App maker to make sure there is a compatible App. With the App Downloaded to iTunes on a computer you can go into The App Store App on your device, Tap on Purchased, and Look for the App there. Tap on it to begin the download. It will likely say its not compatible, but if there is a compatible version it will offer to download it

Install the latest compatible version of an app on an earlier version of iOS or OS X - Apple Support

why cant I upgrade from ios 6.1 to 7 or 8???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.