Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 5 year old iMac seems to get very hot at the top. Is it possible the fan is no longer working

My 5 year old iMac seems to be getting rather hot at the top. Is it possible the fan is no longer working? Is there even a fan in the iMac?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 8:20 AM

The iMac does have internal fans - not sure how many there are in yours, but it definitely has some.

The top does often get fairly hot to touch - I believe the hot air vents through the slots at the top back edge. If you haven't already, it's a good idea to vacuum all the air ventilation areas from time to time (whilst the Mac is switched off). The places to do are:

• The bottom edge where the speakers and RAM slots are.
  • The circular vent on the back behind the stand.
  • The vent slots along the top back edge of the computer.

Doing this can help keep the cooling of the Mac at optimum performance.

All that said, I suspect that your Mac is running at normal temperatures unless you are experiencing other issues - random shutdowns, perhaps.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2015 8:20 AM in response to claude2306

The iMac does have internal fans - not sure how many there are in yours, but it definitely has some.

The top does often get fairly hot to touch - I believe the hot air vents through the slots at the top back edge. If you haven't already, it's a good idea to vacuum all the air ventilation areas from time to time (whilst the Mac is switched off). The places to do are:

• The bottom edge where the speakers and RAM slots are.
  • The circular vent on the back behind the stand.
  • The vent slots along the top back edge of the computer.

Doing this can help keep the cooling of the Mac at optimum performance.

All that said, I suspect that your Mac is running at normal temperatures unless you are experiencing other issues - random shutdowns, perhaps.

Sep 2, 2015 11:38 AM in response to claude2306

Run Apple Diaganostics or Apple Hardware Test, depending on which your iMac needs. Either will report a failed fan or fan sensor. Info here:

OS X Mavericks: Use Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test

Typical behavior for a failed sensor: because the computer can't "talk" to the fans without the sensor, it sets all fans to full speed to protect the components. The sound of the fans are quite noticeable at full revs

A 27-inch 2010 iMac has three fans. CPU; hard drive; optical drive. Not sure about the 21.5-inch versions.

My 5 year old iMac seems to get very hot at the top. Is it possible the fan is no longer working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.