Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem updating 4s iPhone from 8.4.1 to 8.5.1

1. I got the following popup message: “A new software for iPhone, 8.5.1 is available. Would you like to update it now?”
  2. I clicked yes, and then got the message that “iTunes is currently syncing the Phone Are you sure you want to stop and upgrade the iPhone’s software”
  3. I said yes because the syncing never completed
  4. But then I got the message: “The iPhone “ “ could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (-1).”

What do I need to do to update from 8.4.1 to 8.5.1 so that I can successfully sync with iTunes podcasts on my Mac OSX 10.10.5?

Aperture 3

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 11:19 AM

Hi Tom,

Currently there is no 8.5.1 update available, so that message seems to be incorrect.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

Error code 1 usually involves a hardware issue. Check that your security software and settings aren't blocking your device from communicating with the Apple update server. Then try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good. Make sure that your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers. If you still see the error message when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2015 11:19 AM in response to Tom Vollrath

Hi Tom,

Currently there is no 8.5.1 update available, so that message seems to be incorrect.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

Error code 1 usually involves a hardware issue. Check that your security software and settings aren't blocking your device from communicating with the Apple update server. Then try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good. Make sure that your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers. If you still see the error message when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

problem updating 4s iPhone from 8.4.1 to 8.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.