Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can anyone tell what this means? And why I am just recently seeing this?

I'm really not sure why I am seeing this lately. But I don't know what to do about it. User uploaded file

iPhone 5s, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 7:46 AM

I can tell you why in a small sense but can't put it in the bigger context in the absence of details from you. It usually happens when somebody buys a new computer and doesn't transfer their iTunes library from the old one. Basically the iTunes library does not recognize the iPhone because it has not synced to it previously.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2015 7:46 AM in response to tigerstix79

I can tell you why in a small sense but can't put it in the bigger context in the absence of details from you. It usually happens when somebody buys a new computer and doesn't transfer their iTunes library from the old one. Basically the iTunes library does not recognize the iPhone because it has not synced to it previously.

Sep 2, 2015 8:31 AM in response to tigerstix79

tigerstix79 wrote:

.but now I have ITunes going to the ITunes folder on my MAC, back to where it originally was.

Which means you are syncing to an unknown library, since your actual library is in the external drive . Depending on how you moved your library to the external drive, it may be a simple fix, or not.

Force Quit iTunes, and then hold down the option key on your keyboard while clicking the iTunes icon on your dock. iTunes will open and request you point it to an iTunes Library.

Point it to the external drive, and the folder where you put your library. This should load your library, and all relationship to your iPhone.

Sep 2, 2015 10:54 AM in response to tigerstix79

tigerstix79 wrote:

But I was my ITunes Library BACK on my MAC... The same library that is on the EXT is also on my MAC...

I don't understand this. "Was"? Want? If "want" that indicates you wish to have it back there but your next sentence is saying that you already have the same library on both the internal and external.

You have to carefully read what we write, and you have to carefully write what you want us to read and in doing so make sure we interpret it correctly. 🙂

A library isn't a single file. It is everything in the iTunes folder working in harmony (supposedly). The .itl file tells the iTunes application where exactly your media files are located, where the artwork files are located, where the genius and other files are located, and also carries an identifier so when you attach a device the device will recognize that library as one it knows and will sync with it.

By the way MAC in all uppercase has a special meaning for computers and actually could also mean a computer running Windows. I presume you have a Mac.

Can anyone tell what this means? And why I am just recently seeing this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.