Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync music from my iPad Air 2 to my nano

I have a nano, an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 6 Plus and NO COMPUTER. How can I sync my music to my nano with my iPad Air 2 or iPhone 6 Plus? I do not want to connect my devices to someone else's computer nor do I want to buy a computer. I do not need a computer my iPad Air 2 provides me with everything I need. I like to run and the nano is perfect running companion but my playlists are old and outdated. I do not want to carry my iPhone 6 Plus because it is bulky and it cannot stay charged for my long runs but the nano can. I prefer my nano because it is light and I can clip to my clothes. Is there a way for me to sync my music I purchased from iTunes on my iPhone and iPad to my nano?

iPad Air, iOS 8.4.1, iPhone 6 Plus and Nano

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 7:26 AM

Hi alee492,

From your post I understand that you would like to sync music from your iPad to your iPod nano. In order to get music on to your iPod nano, you will need a computer with iTunes on it. You cannot sync an iPod nano from any other devices except for a Mac or PC with iTunes. For help with syncing content to your iPod nano, please see the information outlined below:

Set up iTunes syncing

iTunes is the free app you use to sync music, audiobooks, podcasts, photos, videos, and iTunes U collections between your computer and iPod nano, and to send workouts to the Nike+ website. You need iTunes 12.2 or later to use iPod nano features.

You can preview and download content from the iTunes Store (not available in all countries) to iTunes on your computer. To learn about iTunes and the iTunes Store, open iTunes and choose Help > iTunes Help.

Sync automatically

When you connect iPod nano to your computer, iPod nano is updated to match the items in your iTunes library. When the update is done, a message in iTunes says “iPod update is complete,” and a bar at the bottom of the iTunes window displays how much disk space is used by different types of content. You can sync iPod nano automatically with only one computer at a time.

Important: The first time you connect iPod nano to a computer that it’s not synced with, a message asks if you want to sync songs automatically. If you accept, all songs, audiobooks, and other content are erased from iPod nano and replaced with songs and other items from that computer.

You can prevent iPod nano from syncing when you connect it to a computer other than the one you usually sync with.

Turn off automatic syncing for iPod nano:

1. Connect iPod nano to your computer, then open iTunes.

2. In the iTunes Summary pane, deselect “Open iTunes when this iPod is connected.”

3. Click Apply.

If you turn off automatic syncing, you can still sync by clicking the Sync button.

Manage iPod nano manually

If you manage iPod nano manually, you can add content from multiple computers to iPod nano without erasing items already on iPod nano.

Setting iPod nano to manually manage music turns off the automatic sync options in the Music, Podcasts, iTunes U, and Photos panes. You can’t manually manage some options and automatically sync others at the same time.

Note: Genius Mixes don’t work if you manually manage content. You can still manually sync Genius playlists to iPod nano, and create Genius playlists on the iPod after a manual sync of Genius content. See Play Genius Mixes on page 24.

Set iTunes to manage content manually:

1. Choose iTunes > Preferences, then click Devices.

2. Select “Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically,” then click OK.

3. In the iTunes window, select iPod nano, then click Summary.

4. In the Options section, select “Manually manage music and videos.”

5. Click Apply.

When you manually manage content on iPod nano, you must always eject iPod nano from iTunes before you disconnect it. See Disconnect iPod nano from your computer on page 13.

You can reset iPod nano to sync automatically at any time—deselect “Manually manage music and videos,” then click Apply. You may need to reselect your sync options.

iPod nano User Guide

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2015 7:26 AM in response to alee492

Hi alee492,

From your post I understand that you would like to sync music from your iPad to your iPod nano. In order to get music on to your iPod nano, you will need a computer with iTunes on it. You cannot sync an iPod nano from any other devices except for a Mac or PC with iTunes. For help with syncing content to your iPod nano, please see the information outlined below:

Set up iTunes syncing

iTunes is the free app you use to sync music, audiobooks, podcasts, photos, videos, and iTunes U collections between your computer and iPod nano, and to send workouts to the Nike+ website. You need iTunes 12.2 or later to use iPod nano features.

You can preview and download content from the iTunes Store (not available in all countries) to iTunes on your computer. To learn about iTunes and the iTunes Store, open iTunes and choose Help > iTunes Help.

Sync automatically

When you connect iPod nano to your computer, iPod nano is updated to match the items in your iTunes library. When the update is done, a message in iTunes says “iPod update is complete,” and a bar at the bottom of the iTunes window displays how much disk space is used by different types of content. You can sync iPod nano automatically with only one computer at a time.

Important: The first time you connect iPod nano to a computer that it’s not synced with, a message asks if you want to sync songs automatically. If you accept, all songs, audiobooks, and other content are erased from iPod nano and replaced with songs and other items from that computer.

You can prevent iPod nano from syncing when you connect it to a computer other than the one you usually sync with.

Turn off automatic syncing for iPod nano:

1. Connect iPod nano to your computer, then open iTunes.

2. In the iTunes Summary pane, deselect “Open iTunes when this iPod is connected.”

3. Click Apply.

If you turn off automatic syncing, you can still sync by clicking the Sync button.

Manage iPod nano manually

If you manage iPod nano manually, you can add content from multiple computers to iPod nano without erasing items already on iPod nano.

Setting iPod nano to manually manage music turns off the automatic sync options in the Music, Podcasts, iTunes U, and Photos panes. You can’t manually manage some options and automatically sync others at the same time.

Note: Genius Mixes don’t work if you manually manage content. You can still manually sync Genius playlists to iPod nano, and create Genius playlists on the iPod after a manual sync of Genius content. See Play Genius Mixes on page 24.

Set iTunes to manage content manually:

1. Choose iTunes > Preferences, then click Devices.

2. Select “Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically,” then click OK.

3. In the iTunes window, select iPod nano, then click Summary.

4. In the Options section, select “Manually manage music and videos.”

5. Click Apply.

When you manually manage content on iPod nano, you must always eject iPod nano from iTunes before you disconnect it. See Disconnect iPod nano from your computer on page 13.

You can reset iPod nano to sync automatically at any time—deselect “Manually manage music and videos,” then click Apply. You may need to reselect your sync options.

iPod nano User Guide

Take care.

Sync music from my iPad Air 2 to my nano

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.