Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup disc full

Hi guys. For all intensive purposes, I am a complete newbie when is comes to the intricacies of Mac.

I bought my fiance a MacBook Pro last year for her birthday. She has photos, videos, and her iTunes library on it. I bought it so she could start to transfer all of her work stuff from her old PC to the Mac.

After loading all of her photos/itunes/etc onto the computer, we went to download Microsoft Office for Mac. It said we didn't have enough memory. I am now getting a "Start up disc full" message.

When I "Get Info" from HD it says capacity is 120.47GB but only have 341.1MB of free space.

I am assuming I need to move files from my startup HD to a different drive, but that is where I need help. Do I need to move them to an external drive? Or a different drive on the comp?

Also, why do I not have this problem on my Mac or on her PC?

Thanks,

Joe

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 8:46 AM

1 reply

Sep 2, 2015 3:21 PM in response to Joe_M23

You have the problem because you are trying to put more data on the SSD than it has capacity for.

Freeing Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. See Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks' Storage Display.

2. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.

3. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.

4. Also see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.

5. See Where did my Disk Space go?.

6. See The Storage Display.

You must Empty the Trash in order to recover the space they occupied on the hard drive.

You should consider replacing the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.

Try using OmniDiskSweeper 1.8 or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.

Startup disc full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.