Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to move my iphoto '11 library to an external drive, (I have an imac, running 10.6.8) and also want to create a "remote start-up disk" on this same (new) WD My Book drive. What do I need to know to do this properly?

I would like to move my iPhoto '11 library to a new Western Digital 2T external drive to clear up space on my hard drive. (I have an intel iMac, running Snow Leopard.) I would also like to create and install a "remote start-up disk" as a backup on this new drive.

1) What do I need to know and do to accomplish this? (Please use simple language or refer me to a good source, thanks!)

2) After doing this, can I continue to use iPhoto for importing new images and for storage only? (Any photo manipulation would be done in PS Elements)

3) If so, I assume the photos are easily accessed in the new external drive?

Thank you!

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 10:10 AM

2 replies

Sep 2, 2015 4:30 PM in response to lebwohl

If you make a full backup on the external drive, then your iPhoto Library will be backed up. However, I discourage you from using a backup drive as a simple storage drive. You should use separate drives for each.

I you don't plan to make the change, then you need to create a partition on the external drive large enough to hold the backup of your internal drive.

Drive Partition and Format

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.

2. After Disk Utility loads select the external hard drive (this is the out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the Disk Utility main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to Two. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Resize and name each partition. Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed.

Clone using Restore Option of Disk Utility

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag

it to the Destination entry field.

5. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to

the Source entry field.

6. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the external backup partition or volume. Source means the internal startup drive.

This should make a bootable clone, but when you are finished you should try booting from your clone to be sure it works.

Boot Using OPTION key:

1. Restart the computer.

2. Immediately after the chime press and hold down the

"OPTION" key.

3. Release the key when the boot manager appears.

4. Select the bootable clone you just made.

5. Click on the arrow button below the icon.

If all is well, then open Startup Disk preferences, set your internal drive as the startup drive, then click on the Restart button.

Sep 3, 2015 8:05 AM in response to lebwohl

Open Disk Utility/Erase. Format the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with Option GUID. Boot off the Snow Leopard DVD and install the OS on the drive.

Update using the combo update.

10.6.8 Combo Updater

Copy the iPhoto library to the external. Open iPhoto/File/Switch to Library and set the new location. Make sure iPhoto is operating normally before deleting the old library from your internal drive.

I would like to move my iphoto '11 library to an external drive, (I have an imac, running 10.6.8) and also want to create a "remote start-up disk" on this same (new) WD My Book drive. What do I need to know to do this properly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.