Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail app crashes upon opening ipad IOS 8.4.1

ipad Mail app crashes upon opening.

i have done all the recommended things, but next time I open Mail the same problem arises.

Mail working OK on imac & iphone - so specifically an ipad problem.

unable to 'reset all settings" as I was never given the Apple default code when ipad was purchased and there is no way I can find to access it.

iPad 2, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 12:06 PM

8 replies

Sep 2, 2015 12:10 PM in response to oratorio

Please explain what the "recommended things" were, so we don't duplicate.

Where are you trying to reset all settings and you are getting a request for a code? There is no default code when the iPad is purchased. Sounds as if you have Restrictions turned on. If that is the case, the only way to reset is to turn off Restrictions. Go to Settings>General>Restrictions and see if they are turned on. If so, then whomever turned on restrictions and entered the passcode would have to turn it off. If that cannot be done, then the only thing you can do is force the device into Recovery Mode and restore the device as new, erasing all content.

Sep 2, 2015 12:24 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks but it is general/restrictions that I am trying to turn off - I have never set a passcode on them & I have been through the list of all the passcodes that it could possibly be. (and kept a list as I worked through them).

I definately never set up a passcode here and I understand that there is no way of finding out what it is.

Is there anyway to delete and reinstall Mail?

Things i have done are all those connected with closing down and resetting the ipad.

This is the 2nd time in 12 months this has happened shortly after a software upgrade- surely Apple should have found a way of Mail not failing when there is a software upgrade.

Sep 2, 2015 12:45 PM in response to oratorio

I've not experienced any issues with Mail on my iPad or iPhone. If you have a passcode in Restrictions and you do not recall setting it, then someone else has access to your device. It cannot happen on its own. The only way to remove the Restrictions passcode is to restore the device as new. The restrictions passcode is in the backup, so you cannot use the backup to restore with.

You cannot delete Mail, it is a native iOS app. The only way to even refresh it is to restore the device to factory settings, the same thing you would need to do to remove your Restrictions passcode.

Sep 27, 2015 11:39 PM in response to oratorio

I have a very similar problem. After upgrading to 9.0.1 on my iPad, I now have restrictions "on" with a passcode I did not create.

I'm no idiot. I write down all these passwords for my various IT/Apple/website subscriptions. I know I'm not smart enough to remember them all. So when I say I didn't have one, I really didn't!

Not impressed with having to restore my iPad from scratch. So much to lose, and so little to gain from the upgrade.😠

mail app crashes upon opening ipad IOS 8.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.