Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to send a slideshow that is in progress to someone else via email so they can update it themselves?

I have a client that is in need of a slideshow that will include intro and landing pages in addition to photos. I have already created the landing pages and placed them in an album along with the photos they want to feature. They want to use Photos so they can add or swap out photos once I send the file to them. Is it possible to send an "in progress" slideshow to someone without having to export it into a .m4v file?

Is there also a way to customize the themes or are they coded to stay as is? My client likes the "Sliding Panels" theme but we need intro and landing pages to stand alone and not be part of the photo collage.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 11:20 AM

No. A Slideshow is really only a set of instructions shoed in the database file. The only way to share it in editable form is to share the whole library.

No, the themes are fixed.

Alternatives to iPhoto's slideshow include:

iMovie is on every Mac sold.

Others, in order of price:

PhotoToMovie $49.95

PulpMotion $129

FotoMagico $99

Final Cut Pro X $299

It's difficult to compare these apps. They have differences in capability - some are driven off templates. some aren't. Some have a wider variety of transitions. Others will have excellent audio controls. It's worth checking them out to see what meets your needs. However, there is no doubt that Final Cut Pro X is the most capable app of them all. You get what you pay for.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2015 11:20 AM in response to sdpierson26

No. A Slideshow is really only a set of instructions shoed in the database file. The only way to share it in editable form is to share the whole library.

No, the themes are fixed.

Alternatives to iPhoto's slideshow include:

iMovie is on every Mac sold.

Others, in order of price:

PhotoToMovie $49.95

PulpMotion $129

FotoMagico $99

Final Cut Pro X $299

It's difficult to compare these apps. They have differences in capability - some are driven off templates. some aren't. Some have a wider variety of transitions. Others will have excellent audio controls. It's worth checking them out to see what meets your needs. However, there is no doubt that Final Cut Pro X is the most capable app of them all. You get what you pay for.

Sep 3, 2015 5:46 AM in response to sdpierson26

It's not an album you are sharing, it's the entire Library. There's no reliable way to do this over the internet. You'd need to copy it to a disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) pass that over. Of course the other person would need to be using the same version of iPhoto as you, plus would then need to add their photos to this library to make the slideshow.

You sure iPhoto is the app for this job?

Sep 3, 2015 5:48 AM in response to Yer_Man

No, it's what they wanted to use. I just wanted to exhaust all my options with this program before trying others. I was thinking of using iMovie or Keynote. They don't want to buy/install another program, they want to use one that is already installed on their computer. Thank you for the information, I will pass it along to them and figured something else out!

Is there a way to send a slideshow that is in progress to someone else via email so they can update it themselves?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.