Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I stop iTunes to move songs to a new folder after playing them?

Hi there,

when I play a song just by double clicking it in a folder on my hard drive, the mp3 is moved to another folder (Band name).

How can I stop this from happening?

Cheers

Crenk

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 11:11 AM

That is the way iTunes is designed, to put a copy of media you play with iTunes in the correct location in the iTunes folder. You can disable this in iTunes > preferences > advanced but unless you are about to sit down and learn the implications of doing this you might not wish to. It will make it difficult to relocate files to another drive in the future, and will also disable some of the automatic management and repair features iTunes has.

If you frequently wish to preview a song you may wish to use a different application such as Quicktime to open media files. They can still be dragged to iTunes for adding if you want to keep them.

Mac OS X: Double-Clicking a File Opens the Wrong Application - http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2291

-= Changing the application used to open all files of a certain kind (written with reference to OSX 10.4 but may not have changed) =-

1) In a Finder window highlight a file of the kind you want to change the application to open that kind of file.

2) While that file is highlighted, select File > Get Info or press command (apple or propeller icon) + i to get a file information window.

3) In the lower part of the info window there is an "open with" menu with a list of applications.

4) If your application is already in the box then it is the default application for opening that kind of file and you don't need to do anything more. Close the get info window.

5) If the application showing in the menu is not the one with which you wish to open the file then select a new application. If your application does not appear there then select the "other..." and track down the application (usually in the Applications folder at the main level of the computer).

6) If you wish to change all files of this type to open with this application in future, make sure the "change all" button is selected.

7) Close the get info window.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2015 11:11 AM in response to Crenk76

That is the way iTunes is designed, to put a copy of media you play with iTunes in the correct location in the iTunes folder. You can disable this in iTunes > preferences > advanced but unless you are about to sit down and learn the implications of doing this you might not wish to. It will make it difficult to relocate files to another drive in the future, and will also disable some of the automatic management and repair features iTunes has.

If you frequently wish to preview a song you may wish to use a different application such as Quicktime to open media files. They can still be dragged to iTunes for adding if you want to keep them.

Mac OS X: Double-Clicking a File Opens the Wrong Application - http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2291

-= Changing the application used to open all files of a certain kind (written with reference to OSX 10.4 but may not have changed) =-

1) In a Finder window highlight a file of the kind you want to change the application to open that kind of file.

2) While that file is highlighted, select File > Get Info or press command (apple or propeller icon) + i to get a file information window.

3) In the lower part of the info window there is an "open with" menu with a list of applications.

4) If your application is already in the box then it is the default application for opening that kind of file and you don't need to do anything more. Close the get info window.

5) If the application showing in the menu is not the one with which you wish to open the file then select a new application. If your application does not appear there then select the "other..." and track down the application (usually in the Applications folder at the main level of the computer).

6) If you wish to change all files of this type to open with this application in future, make sure the "change all" button is selected.

7) Close the get info window.

Sep 2, 2015 4:21 PM in response to Crenk76

Hey Crenk,

Just to add to Limnos's more thorough reply, there's a quick way to listen to a song without importing it or opening any apps. If you're looking at the song in a Finder window, set the view to Columns (either from the menu, View > As Columns, or by clicking the small icon in the Finder window, 3rd from left in the center). When you click on the music file, you should see a graphic to the right with a Play arrow in the middle. Tap that to play the song.

How can I stop iTunes to move songs to a new folder after playing them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.