Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Yosemite on separate partition w/Compressor 4.2

I would like to upgrade my Mtn. Lion to Yosemite on my MacBook Pro, but just in a separate partition,

and then install Compressor 4.2 in that partition only. Has anyone done this? And how do I switch

between partitions to access Compressor? Anything I should watch out for? Problems?

I want the option to burn Blu Rays from Compressor with my external Blu Ray Lacie D2 burner, but

the previous Compressor for Mtn. Lion doesn't do that.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 10:23 AM

Hello Stucker,

The ability to have your hard drive partitioned and easily switch between various versions of the OS is pretty nice.

1) You will first want to backup your drive and use Disk Utility to partition as in

OS X Mountain Lion: Partition a disk

2) Then install Yosemite.

How to install OS X Yosemite on your Mac - Apple Support

3) You can then use the Startup Disk System Preference or Option key on boot to change the boot volume.

How to choose a startup disk on your Mac - Apple Support

Enjoy.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2015 10:23 AM in response to Stucker

Hello Stucker,

The ability to have your hard drive partitioned and easily switch between various versions of the OS is pretty nice.

1) You will first want to backup your drive and use Disk Utility to partition as in

OS X Mountain Lion: Partition a disk

2) Then install Yosemite.

How to install OS X Yosemite on your Mac - Apple Support

3) You can then use the Startup Disk System Preference or Option key on boot to change the boot volume.

How to choose a startup disk on your Mac - Apple Support

Enjoy.

Sep 4, 2015 10:30 AM in response to Nubz N.

Next challenge apparently, my Lacie D2 Blu Ray burner drive is NOT compatible with Yosemite, and there

are no firmware updates anymore for this Lacie drive, now owned by Seagate.

What external Blu Ray burner drives are compatible with YOSEMITE? I've checked most for Mac compatibility

and they only go as high as Mtn. Lion, 10.8, or they 'say OS 10.6 or higher' (not likely).

Install Yosemite on separate partition w/Compressor 4.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.