Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New hotmail password on iphone 4s now I cant send mail

Happy for years with hotmail on iphone (4s) & ipad (air) - last night I needed to change hotmail password and now neither device sends mail, it recives but sent mail sticks in outbox....tried all sorts of things but no luck - whats the solution? my laptop works fine with new password, only the IPhone and Ipad dont.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 12:15 PM

You need to check the settings for the Hotmail SMTP server on the iOS devices. That is the server that determines the successful sending of mail. Go to the account and make sure that you enter the correct password and any other settings for the SMTP server. Do you see any error messages when attempting to send mail, or just that it goes to the Outbox?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2015 12:15 PM in response to markgbrookes

You need to check the settings for the Hotmail SMTP server on the iOS devices. That is the server that determines the successful sending of mail. Go to the account and make sure that you enter the correct password and any other settings for the SMTP server. Do you see any error messages when attempting to send mail, or just that it goes to the Outbox?

Sep 2, 2015 1:22 PM in response to markgbrookes

To repeat what Chris said, email accounts require that the user ID and password be entered TWO TIMES. Once for receiving mail, and again for sending mail. You apparently did not change the password for sending, only for receiving. You must go to the settings for the Hotmail account, tap on "SMTP", then tap on the hotmail server name, and update the password.

Sep 2, 2015 1:24 PM in response to markgbrookes

markgbrookes wrote:

The settings SMTP etc are all as they always were so I am concerned about playing with those. The changed password worked fine on a laptop (not mac) but has not worked on the iPhone or iPad Air which gives the same issues as the iPhone.

If they are always as they were, that is why you cannot send mail. As I indicated earlier, the SMTP requires the password change as well.

New hotmail password on iphone 4s now I cant send mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.