Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete multiple photos on my iPhone 5s.

Deleting all 5,000 would be very much better than one at a time. I can easily drag the 10 from my MacBP before my trip.
I've tried everything on the forum. Anything there isn't on the current device or apps.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 4:56 AM

Are you using iCloud Photo Library? If so then don't delete the photos from your iPhone - they'll be deleted from iCloud and any other device linked to your account. If you select "Optimize iPhone Storage" then the capacity taken up by your photos will reduce.

If you're not using iCloud Photo Library, and are still using "Camera Roll" as a local storage only, then deleting photos from this album has to be done one at a time unfortunately (hence the recommendation to disposition your photos frequently and not leave them in Camera Roll). Other than deleting one at a time, you could restore your iPhone as new and not load your backup ... as harsh as that sounds, it may be a faster option for you. Of course you'll have to re-do all your settings and lose some data like recent messages, call history, app data, etc.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2015 4:56 AM in response to Bonnie42

Are you using iCloud Photo Library? If so then don't delete the photos from your iPhone - they'll be deleted from iCloud and any other device linked to your account. If you select "Optimize iPhone Storage" then the capacity taken up by your photos will reduce.

If you're not using iCloud Photo Library, and are still using "Camera Roll" as a local storage only, then deleting photos from this album has to be done one at a time unfortunately (hence the recommendation to disposition your photos frequently and not leave them in Camera Roll). Other than deleting one at a time, you could restore your iPhone as new and not load your backup ... as harsh as that sounds, it may be a faster option for you. Of course you'll have to re-do all your settings and lose some data like recent messages, call history, app data, etc.

Sep 3, 2015 7:44 AM in response to Bonnie42

iTunes can delete photos from your iPhone, but only the ones that you synced to it from your computer (i.e. via iTunes). iTunes cannot delete photos that you've taken with your iPhone (unless you synced them from your computer) nor can it delete your iCloud photos. Perhaps the people you were speaking to did not understand that distinction.

Oct 20, 2015 12:31 AM in response to rockmyplimsoul

What a shambles.

It used to be so simple, log into iTunes, delete the photos or albums you don't want any more, done!

Now my iPhone tells me to free up storage space and nothing will delete, same on my iPad. Or I have to do them individually (not all of them of course, some can be selected but there is no trash to send them to!).

Come on Apple - KISS..

How do I delete multiple photos on my iPhone 5s.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.