Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Must I have iTunes Match in order to view music already in my Music Library?

From my Desktop, I can see all of the many CDs that have been added to my iTunes Library over several years. Some tracks are in Black and others are greyed out.

Although I can play all of the tracks on the Desktop, when I try to transfer a CD to one of my Apple devices, only the tracks in Black get transferred across. So my first question really is why can I not transfer all of the tracks to my devices?

When I look at my devices I can only see CDs that have been "Recently Added". Even then, I can only see the tracks that were in Black. So my second question is how can I see all of the Music on my devices?

I did try to speak to Apple Support but they told me I had to subscribe to ITunes Match.

In effect I feel like I am being held to ransom. I am being told I have to pay to listen to my own music. That cannot be right can it?

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 11:49 AM

No, you do not have to subscribe to iTunes Match for this capability but Match certainly makes it easier.

First, let's try to get rid of the grey. It sounds like you need to consolidate your iTunes library. iTunes menu > File > Library > Organize Library and check the box next to consolidate.

Next we can put the music you want on your iDevice. Which version of iTunes are you using and what iOS. Finally are you subscribed to Apple Music (not Match).

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2015 11:49 AM in response to andrefromwimborne

No, you do not have to subscribe to iTunes Match for this capability but Match certainly makes it easier.

First, let's try to get rid of the grey. It sounds like you need to consolidate your iTunes library. iTunes menu > File > Library > Organize Library and check the box next to consolidate.

Next we can put the music you want on your iDevice. Which version of iTunes are you using and what iOS. Finally are you subscribed to Apple Music (not Match).

Sep 2, 2015 12:48 PM in response to andrefromwimborne

HI UGADog.

Thanks for your reply and for trying to help.

I tried to consolidate my iTunes Library as described but it did not change the grey tracks into Black. 😟

As for the the iTune, I have the latest version this being 12.2.2. On my phone and iPad I have version 8.4.1 Which is also shown as the latest.

Finally, I do not subscribe to Apple Music.

What are you thinking I should do next?

Sep 2, 2015 3:37 PM in response to andrefromwimborne

Did you sync iDevice after you consolidated iTunes Library in Mac iTunes? This may be obvious but just in case. And use a USB cable rather than Wifi.

If you had Apple Music, I would say to logout of iTunes and App Store on the phone (Settings > iTunes and App Store, click you user id and sign out). But you don't have Apple Music. Try it anyway and quit Music on iPhone first by double clicking the home button and and dragging the music app to the top of the screen. Then try syncing first.

After this I'm afraid I'm out of idea. If they play in Mac iTunes, but are grey in iDevices, the sync is not happening. And since they are from CDs there should be no DRM issues associated with old iTunes store purchases. And you say this happens on more than one iDevice? Same songs?

Sep 3, 2015 12:38 AM in response to UGADog

Hello guys!

I kinda have the same issue, but looks like a tricky one!

I been collecting music for more than 10 years... some of them, produced by friends, imported from those childhood CDR's, and mostly, torrents.

The problem is: After subscribing to Itunes Match, and loading all my library, around 130G, part of my songs appear in grey, so i cannot play them. Neither load from iCloud.

It looks like they know i have those songs, but they won't let me play them.

In addiction to this, if i disconect my MacBook from the internet, they simply dissapear from the library.

Any idea?

P.S: I'm from Brasil, so, sorry for the clumsy writing!

Sep 3, 2015 9:14 AM in response to andrefromwimborne

Hi,

Are you viewing your music in song view or Album / Artist view?

See image below for Artist view:

User uploaded file

See image from song view:

User uploaded file

You will see that some are checked and others unchecked. The unchecked songs are grey whilst checked are black. As you do not subscribe to match, you can still sync by wifi or usb BUT unchecked tracks will not be copied.

Is this what you are seeing? If so, you will need to check all tracks you want to copy. to your other devices.

By the way you don't need iTunes match unless you want your music to be in the cloud.

Jim

Sep 3, 2015 10:13 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Hi UGADog and Jim.

I think the problem has been sorted out.

I did as you suggested and changed the view to Songs. Sure enough only some songs were checked and those were the ones shown in Black. I immediately selected the whole list and checked all songs. I then synced all of my devices. This seems to have worked.

I hope the above helps C Valente.

The the view on my devices still shows Recently Added but I can search for the artists manually. That's fine.

Thank you for all your help.

André.

😎

Must I have iTunes Match in order to view music already in my Music Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.