You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can photos deal with raw

I just switched computers, and now I find that the new Photos doesn't seem capable of handling RAW photos.

Am I missing something?

If Photos can't handle it, how can I find Open With for the photos I've already shot?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), More RAM added

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 1:50 PM

8 replies

Sep 3, 2015 6:04 AM in response to cafox513

I know the feeling, wife vs life... 😉

If you use Canon, use either the Canon software (I would never mix Canon & Nikon) or indeed Apple software (e.g. Image Capture). I nowadays transfer all files (RAW+JPG) from camera (or sometimes card reader) through Adobe Bridge/Get Photos from Camera to an external HD. There I split up the file types: the JPGs go into Photos (previously into iPhoto), the RAW remain on external disk and are selectively processed with either Adobe (Camera Raw or Lightroom), Aperture (still doing a good job) or DxO Optics Pro.

Mind you: always keep an up-to-date card reader (these things are amazingly cheap) at hand.

can photos deal with raw

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.