Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transcoding

For a long time now I have found that clips I have imported from my 5D Mark III and Sony VG20 into FCPX using PRORESS 442 have aliasing and colored flashing lines every now and then. (viewed in the camera they are ok)Today I tried to transcode the effected clips from the camera to the HD and then to Compressor using the default PRORESS 422 settings.

The result was interesting. The clips we're perfect 🙂 however I noticed that the size of the clips were very different from those transcoded in FCPX. For example transcoded in FCPX 4,26GB and the same clip transcoded in Compressor 7,43GB. Question is, Should I need to change something in FCPX when transcoding? The file size tells me that something is different.

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 2:33 PM

10 replies

Sep 2, 2015 2:53 PM in response to Paulbernard

When you say transcode in FCP you do mean optimize, correct? You will get some variation in size but nothing like that much. Sometimes the file will be a little larger, something a little smaller in size when comparing the two applications, one using a file imported into FCP and the other directly from the camera card. It's not possible for the file to double in size using the same codec this way. PR422 doesn't have that much variation.

Sep 4, 2015 7:35 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Apologies I made a mistake. I compared the file from the camera to the transcode file. For this reason it was so much larger. One thing I did notice and I followed the suggestion from Russ is I looked at the get info from the file transcoded (optimised) by FCPX and all it indicated was transcoded media. I was expecting to see some reference to PRORES 422. I then did the same for the file transcoded in Compressor and here it shown the codec.

Thanks for support

Sep 4, 2015 9:53 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom,

Thanks for the info. I am working on a project at the moment and will transcode to Proress using Compressor to see how it goes. How this discussion all started was that when I import and optimise the media in FCPX my clips pick up aliasing and colored flashing lines every now and then. However when I tried transcode using Compressor this does not happen ??..not sure what is going on. I am now in the process of transcoding 40 clips using Compressor so lets if they are free these problems.

THANKS

transcoding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.