Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad hard drive

i I have a MacBook Pro and hard drive went up.....I have followed all the examples of how to back up from disk utility, Internet recover and fsck.... Nothing working. What should I do now? If I need to get a hard drive which would be a good one to get?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 2:44 PM

4 replies

Sep 4, 2015 8:26 PM in response to cabakroll

MY Mac has the regular display. I finally was able to re install Yosemite. So far everything working fine. i had to erase everything and download the OS from Apple. I am now going to see if I can get my info that I had backed up back on my computer.. This to will be a challenge as my external hard drive is not showing when I hook it up. I am going to transfer the files I need via a program called HFS Explorer to my husband pic then back to another external hard drive and then on to my mac. thanks for your responses, I will keep the hard drives in mind in case my drive is bad and I have to start over.

Oct 25, 2015 6:03 AM in response to bstaab

Well Apple determined that my hard drive as bad and has since replaced and they did it for free even though I was one week out of my warranty (I absolutely love this company!) Anyway now I have a new problem. I have a back up of my files on a WD my passport that I used with time machine. I can see all the files but they have a red circle w/white line and when I click on them to open a dialogue box appears that reads "The Folder (Documents) can't be opened because you do not have permission to see its contacts"

Any ideas what is causing this?

Bad hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.