Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to buy soon to be out imac 5k. My imac is 2006 second edition with mod identifier of 5.1. i'm told I need yosemity to transfer my imac data. Can any body tell me if I can upgrade to yosemity?

I want to buy soon to be out imac 5k. My imac is 2006 second edition with mod identifier of 5.1. i'm told I need yosemity to transfer my imac data. Can any body tell me if I can upgrade to yosemity?

iMac (17-inch Late 2006), OSX 6.8 Snow Leopard

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 8:28 AM

It can't be upgraded past Lion 10.7.5.

(132742)

5 replies

Sep 3, 2015 8:31 AM in response to james m.fromarlington

Here is all you should need to do, backup the old computer to a Time Machine backup. When the new machine arrives, attach the TM backup to the new computer via USB cable. When you start the new iMac for the first time, it will get to a point where it asks if you are migrating from another Mac, select yes and follow the on-screen prompts and you're done. Apple explains in more detail in Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Sep 3, 2015 9:00 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you. A tec. from the Lynwood, Wa. Apple store told me the new operating system that will come out with the new 5k imac( El Capitan ) wont talk to Snow Leopard. I was told that the Yosemity OS is the lowest OS that I could use to transfer data to the the new imac.

Digging around I found there were two editions of imac in 2006 and mine was the second edition with a model identifier of 5.1 and that I could update to Yosemity if I added some memory.

I'm willing to do that so I wont have to buy the current 2014 imac that uses Yosemity so I can transfer data from my 2006 imac instead of buying the new imac that should be coming out in the 4th Quarter. If this changes anything you told me please get back to me. Again, thanks. Jim.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.