Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Airport, another computer using my IP address

I do not have Airport on my Mac and yet got the message that another computer on the network was using my IP address.

This is the first time I have ever seen this message in over 20 years of using various Macs, and certainly not since everything went wireless.

There is at least one other Mac and two iPhones in the house, not mine, and I am wondering what's going on.

Can anyone advise?

Cheers.

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 3:37 PM

1 reply

Sep 2, 2015 3:46 PM in response to Megan Radclyffe

The wireless router.....or it might be a modem/router if the product was provided to you by your Internet Service Provider.....is the product responsible for allocating IP addresses to each device on the network.

Your wireless clients....whether they be Mac or not....would have nothing to do with this process.....it is up to the DHCP service on your router or modem/router to issue and keep track of IP addresses that have been issued to products.

The router may be confused. Try powering it off for a minute and then start it back up again. If you continue to see the same error, then your wireless router will likely need to be replaced.....since it is not providing DHCP IP address allocation services correctly.

If the product was supplied to you by your Internet Service Provider (ISP), you will need to contact them to proceed.

No Airport, another computer using my IP address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.