Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Printer Is Gone

I just installed Yosemite. I have a Canon MP240 Printer/Scanner and it is gone - completely. I've checked its attachments, turned it off and on, rebooted, and it still is not there. It doesn't show up in the System Report or in Printer Preferences.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 2:47 PM

5 replies

Sep 2, 2015 4:31 PM in response to BrainDrop

BrainDrop wrote:

It doesn't show up in the System Report...

So do you mean that when you select the USB entry in System Information (the utility that opens when you press System Report via About This Mac) the MP240 is not shown as being connected to one of the Mac's USB busses? If yes, then a compatible driver will not solve this as it is related to the physical attachment of the printer to the Mac. So in this case trying another USB cable would be the first step. And ensure this USB cable is connected directly to the Mac rather than via a USB hub or the USB port of a wired Apple keyboard.

Once you can make the MP240 appear in System Information > USB then you will be able to progress to getting a supported driver. The last driver that Canon released for the MP240 was for OS X 10.9. Here is a link to that driver. This driver will install and operate on OS X 10.10.

Sep 3, 2015 5:20 AM in response to BrainDrop

Thanks for replies. I was finally able to see the printer (cable issue) but a bigger issue presented itself. For whatever reason, there is no fully compatible driver for Canon MP240 printers. Canon has not develop[ed one:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mp_s eries/pixma_mp240#DriversAndSoftwar

User uploaded file

In another discussion it was suggested to download an older driver which was compatible:

cannon mp240

I downloaded, installed and was told installation was successful, but the driver would not show up on the list in System Preferences. Print Drivers are found in a Library folder under Printers:PPDs:Resources - my driver was't there.

So, I went to my backup disc which still has the first backup, opened the driver file, found the 240 driver, and copied it. I closed the backup disc and pasted the driver into a new folder on my desktop. Doing that also put it directly into the collection of drivers in the Library folder. Bingo. Here is what I now see.

User uploaded file

But now I have no scanner!

Sep 3, 2015 7:10 PM in response to BrainDrop

Go back to the Canon USA web site and change the drop menu from 10.10 to 10.9. You will see links to the ICA driver which will let you use Image Capture to scan with. Or you will also see Canon owns scanning application called MP Navigator. Download and install it and also download and install the MP240 scanner driver. With the scanner driver installed you will be able to scan using MP Navigator.

My Printer Is Gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.