Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air frozen on login screen, no keyboard solutions to restart will work. 2012 model, running Yosemite.

My Air was working normally, I shut it and then re-opened maybe 10 minutes later to find the usual login screen, but can't type anything in, the trackpad cursor doesn't show up anywhere, and I've tried every keyboard solution imaginable, with no results. Nothing I've done has changed the locked screen. Help!!

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 4:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 10:27 AM

Hi ravenedwards,

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like your MacBook Air is stuck on the login screen after you opened the lid. If none of the keyboard shortcuts had an effect, you may need to hold the power button to turn it off.

Next, reset the System Management Controller (SMC) if your Mac doesn't turn on when you press the power button again--Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac.

If you can't log in or it doesn't start up to the login screen, try starting up in Safe Mode--Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up.

Sincerely.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2015 10:27 AM in response to ravenedwards

Hi ravenedwards,

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like your MacBook Air is stuck on the login screen after you opened the lid. If none of the keyboard shortcuts had an effect, you may need to hold the power button to turn it off.

Next, reset the System Management Controller (SMC) if your Mac doesn't turn on when you press the power button again--Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac.

If you can't log in or it doesn't start up to the login screen, try starting up in Safe Mode--Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up.

Sincerely.

MacBook Air frozen on login screen, no keyboard solutions to restart will work. 2012 model, running Yosemite.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.