Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Control Surface or new Mixer?

I've reached a crossroads and could use some advice. I've been using a MOTU 828mkII for years and mixing with a mouse (and the controls on the 828). I miss using faders and am ready to make some changes. I've done some research, but nothing jumps out as the obvious way to go. I'm hoping for some user advice/recommendations to help me.

Option #1 is to buy a control surface and continue using the MOTU. The Mackie MCU Pro (or previous Universal Control) and the Avid Euphonix Artist seem like good units. I'd still have all the bells and whistles of the MOTU and would get some faders to push around. But it's possible that eventually I will want to record more microphone inputs at once. If I wanted more phantom-powered inputs, I'd need to add a pre-amp unit to the MOTU (which has lots of connection options). But which one?

Option #2 is to replace (or augment) the MOTU with a firewire/digital mixer. The Tascam FW 1884 and Yamaha N12 seem like good units. They have been discontinued and have limited support - but should still be good for years I'd think. I can keep a dedicated older operating system on a few Macs, no problem. These mixers would give me more mic preamps but would have a bigger footprint. But if they'll work as well or better than the MOTU, then one of them may be sweet. But which one?

I'm hoping to spend under $1k, and am not worried about buying used equipment. If I can get 3 years of happy use out of whatever I buy I will indeed be happy. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 3:12 PM

There are no replies.

Control Surface or new Mixer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.