Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessage not updating messages when mac is woken

i have a 15 inch macbookpro 2012 running mavericks, my problem is when my mac is on/using it imessage works great but if it is a sleep or off it won't up date the messages when i come back, this is mainly annoying when i shut the lid to go to my next class because i won't receive something if it was sent when my lid was down and when i open it back up it will show a new message if it was sent when it was on but skip anything in-between lid close and lid open time

please help thanks in advance

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 4:33 PM

3 replies

Sep 3, 2015 1:50 PM in response to HunterCrafter1

Hi,

I don't have an answer for this one.

I thought it might be something in the Notification settings in System Preferences.

However it seems "Do Not Disturb" can only be set if the Screen is Sleeping (implying that full sleep is not covered in this setting).

Sleep does cut all Internet Connections so in that sense the App is "Cut Off" at that point.

However the Server is the one pushing the iMessages to the device. It should continue to do so until the device "accepts" the iMessages.

I would also check the ID or iPhone Number of the incoming iMessages you are getting and check that the Mac and iPhone are syncing properly.

I do realize you have not mentioned and iPhone or iPad but I am just mentioning ideas.

If the iMessages you are getting are aimed at an iPhone number and the Mac is set to Receive them as part of the sync process there could be an issue.

If there was an iPhone but it is no longer doing iMessages (or the setting there has lost the iPhone Number) then it is possible that the iMessages to the iPhone number on the Mac will only work when it is logged in (sleeping logs you out).

User uploaded file

9:50 p.m. Thursday; September 3, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Sep 4, 2015 1:08 PM in response to HunterCrafter1

Hi,

So this is not iMessages in the Messages app but a Login to Google's Jabber Server.

In that case it will depend if Google do Off Line Messaging and whether you have set up your Google Account to allow Off Line Messaging.

IF in Messages > Preferences > General section you have set the item that Reads "When I quit Set the Status to Off Line" then this will override whether the server can do Off Line Messaging.

I have a Google account and I cannot find any setting on Google to allow Off Line Messaging.

User uploaded file

9:08 p.m. Friday; September 4, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

imessage not updating messages when mac is woken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.