Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac backup

I'm taking my iMAC for a hard drive recall replacement. I got contradictory feed backs from Apple engineers on Time machine back ups.

Here is the scenario:

I run Parallels and have full Windows and MS Office on Windows side. I'm not sure if my Time Machine is backing up the entire hard drive including Apple & Windows on the external Time Capsule.

I want to restore my iMac with all the files from both operating systems especially Parallels, Windows and Microsoft Office 2013 edition.

Please clarify.

Thanks

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 6:09 PM

Time Machine does not backup a Windows partition. It only backs up OS X. However, since Parallels and all of its files reside on the HDD, they are backed up with the rest of OS X onto Time Machine unless you specifically exclude it. If you don't exclude Parallels installations, then you will find your backup drive completely full after only a few backups because of all the space the Parallels VM will take up on each hourly backup.

For you Windows system you will want to use Windows backup software and backup to a separate drive.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2015 6:09 PM in response to KhalsaRaj

Time Machine does not backup a Windows partition. It only backs up OS X. However, since Parallels and all of its files reside on the HDD, they are backed up with the rest of OS X onto Time Machine unless you specifically exclude it. If you don't exclude Parallels installations, then you will find your backup drive completely full after only a few backups because of all the space the Parallels VM will take up on each hourly backup.

For you Windows system you will want to use Windows backup software and backup to a separate drive.

Sep 2, 2015 6:12 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for your input.

1. How do I ensure that TM was excluded from backing up Parallels data? My TM still keeps backing which means that Time Capsule is not full yet.

2. Is there anyway to find if TM backed Windows side of the computer?

3. I bought an external drive and partitioned 50% for Windows. What kind of software do I need to back up Windows programs and all its data?

Thanks in advance

Sep 2, 2015 9:54 PM in response to KhalsaRaj

1. By placing the Parallels VM disc image in the Exclude list of Time Machine.
  2. As I said before, Time Machine does not backup a Windows Partition, but it can backup Parallels and the VM. Unless you use Boot Camp there is no such thing as a Windows side of the computer.
  3. Windows has its own built-in backup software. Beyond that you'll need to study up on Windows. I don't use it myself.

iMac backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.