Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CoreMediaAuthoringSessionHelper using 95%+ of CPU

Hey All,

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro that has recently been running pretty slowly and I will be returning to school next week. I was looking at the Activity Monitor and noticed that CoreMediaAuthoringSessionHelper fluctuates between using 88-98% of the CPU. I tried to do some searching on these forums and on Google and was unable to find a clear cut response as to what this helper is and if it is necessary to be open. Thank you for any help!!

MacBook Pro, Other OS, OS X 10.9.2

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 4:19 PM

Select the process in the Activity Monitor's list. Click on the Quit (X) icon in the toolbar, then click on the Force Quit button. Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime, affect performance, and increase heat and fan acti….

Do you have a Core Media Player installed on your computer? It may come from that or some other application using such a helper from OS X.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2015 4:19 PM in response to dpcASU

Select the process in the Activity Monitor's list. Click on the Quit (X) icon in the toolbar, then click on the Force Quit button. Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime, affect performance, and increase heat and fan acti….

Do you have a Core Media Player installed on your computer? It may come from that or some other application using such a helper from OS X.

Sep 2, 2015 4:31 PM in response to Kappy

I am unfamiliar what applications utilize core media, however, when I look at the specifics of the application in the Activity Monitor, I see many files associated with QuickTime player, however, I do not believe that it is running at this time even though this continues to utilize nearly all my CPU. Thank you for your quick response. I will force quit now.

CoreMediaAuthoringSessionHelper using 95%+ of CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.