Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

line of pixels on Macbook air screen

I have a problem with my macbook air screen and I don't know if it has a scratch or something is wrong with the OS. The Title of this discussion basically explains the complete gist of my problem so here are a few pictures : User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Fyi, one thing to note is that this "line of pixels" appears on and off, so it is NOT visible always no matter what i'm doing. i did, however, notice the line showing up whenever i clicked the launchpad button and didn't move my mouse. so it seems pretty trivial but I don't want to take any chances because this is the first apple mac product I own,prior to this I was all Windows and PC, so i'm trying to be careful and stuff.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated 🙂

Thanks, Elton (not John)

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 7:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 11:54 PM

Take a screenshot of the anomaly, then double-click the screenshot. It will open in Preview. If the anomaly does not appear in the screenshot, then it is a hardware problem only Apple will be able to fix.

Screenshots (Mac):

To take a screenshot hold ⌘ Shift 4 to create a selection crosshair. Click and hold while you drag the crosshair over the area you wish to capture and then release the mouse or trackpad. You will hear a "camera shutter" sound. This will deposit a screenshot named "Screen Shot...." followed by a date and time on your Desktop.

When you post your response, click the "camera" icon above the text field:

User uploaded file

This will display a dialog box which enables you to choose the screenshot file (remember it's on your Desktop) and click the Insert Image button. If you are not using full screen mode you can simply drag the image into the text entry field.

⌘ Shift 4 and then pressing the space bar captures the frontmost window.

⌘ Shift 3 captures the entire screen.

Don't capture or upload any information you consider personal. To edit an existing screenshot, read How to edit a screenshot.

Drag the screenshot to the Trash after you post your reply.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2015 11:54 PM in response to ETG98

Take a screenshot of the anomaly, then double-click the screenshot. It will open in Preview. If the anomaly does not appear in the screenshot, then it is a hardware problem only Apple will be able to fix.

Screenshots (Mac):

To take a screenshot hold ⌘ Shift 4 to create a selection crosshair. Click and hold while you drag the crosshair over the area you wish to capture and then release the mouse or trackpad. You will hear a "camera shutter" sound. This will deposit a screenshot named "Screen Shot...." followed by a date and time on your Desktop.

When you post your response, click the "camera" icon above the text field:

User uploaded file

This will display a dialog box which enables you to choose the screenshot file (remember it's on your Desktop) and click the Insert Image button. If you are not using full screen mode you can simply drag the image into the text entry field.

⌘ Shift 4 and then pressing the space bar captures the frontmost window.

⌘ Shift 3 captures the entire screen.

Don't capture or upload any information you consider personal. To edit an existing screenshot, read How to edit a screenshot.

Drag the screenshot to the Trash after you post your reply.

Sep 3, 2015 6:31 PM in response to John Galt

thanks for the reply. The only problem is that this "weird behavior" happens rarely (but frequently enough that it concerns me...) so far, I only say one more aspect of this problem happen. usually, it seems like when I reboot or shut down etc, the problem tends to go away.

Question is will it come back??? And I will try to get a screenshot of the anomaly however, whenever i move the mouse enough, it goes away so if there's a shortcut to take a fullscreen, then maybe I can use that. For now though, the problem isn't too huge, I just hope I can get this fixed before my apple care expires. 🙂 Thanks for the helpful reply!

Sep 3, 2015 6:36 PM in response to ETG98

Oh and to add, the other incident ("one more aspect of the problem" in the previous post) was when I clicked my downloads icon on the extreme right of the dock, it opened up in grid view (which is normal) but a similar line showed up through the same grid box that pops up when u click icon. this literally happened twice, whereas the previous problem persisted every time i clicked the launchpad button (it stopped when i restarted though). also i noticed that the line on the downloads grid view box was horizontally higher than the pixel line from the launchpad incident.

Sep 3, 2015 6:45 PM in response to ETG98

And I will try to get a screenshot of the anomaly however, whenever i move the mouse enough, it goes away so if there's a shortcut to take a fullscreen,

The moment you see it try ⌘ Shift 3. That will capture the entire screen without delay. No need to move the cursor.

Most of the time a hardware fault is the cause of display anomalies like that, but only Apple can make that determination and propose a remedy.

line of pixels on Macbook air screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.