Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I set in and out points at Chapter markers?

So this is a picky thing, but I have lots of repetitive work to do and this is a bit annoying.

I can't find a way to set in and out points easily at Chapter markers.

If I have the Chapter tags showing in the timeline index (bottom left), I can click on Chapter markers and that jumps my cursor / playhead to them. I can then type "i" and it puts an in-entry selection in the timeline.

Then I click the next Chapter marker in the index, the playhead jumps to the next one. Then I hit "O" and it sets an out point. But the in point disappears.

Likewise, if I click Chapter markers in the timeline, it clears any in and out selections.

Doing this with the Range selection tool is clunkier and requires me to zoom in enough to actually see whether I am getting the fade start, fade centre, fade ending, or Chapter marker as the actual selection. That makes it slower to select and export dozens of Chapters in several long sequences for a project I'm doing now.

Using "jump to next Chapter" (ctrl-' ) also clears the in and out points. ***?! So I could do the task by hitting down-arrow to jump through all my edits - which slows me down significantly.

Click on a Chapter marker in the timeline, then shift-click the next one - doesn't do anything.

Using the range selection tool, click on a Chapter marker, drag to the next one - nothing happens.

Is there a way to quickly, mechanically, select Chapters all at once while zoomed out in a complex timeline? In a way that doesn't require aiming with a mouse with video-game skill?

(Solution: I did it by eye and arrow-keys. We will see when my outputs are done whether I made any mechanical mistakes... )

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 5:56 PM

3 replies

Sep 8, 2015 4:34 PM in response to flick harrison

With the Range tool and Snapping turned on, it is exceptionally easy to select media between markers. The skimmer cursor of the Range tool automatically snaps to the marker frames making it very easy to select the first or last frame of the range. You shouldn't need to zoom into the storyline at all. Furthermore, you can preview the selection by typing the forward slash key to play the selected range. Also, when the Range tool is selected, the cursor turns into a skimmer - when you pass the cursor over the storyline, you see in the viewer the currently skimmed frame. There should be no doubt where you are in the process.

Can I set in and out points at Chapter markers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.