Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my wdsmartware is incompatible with Yosemite. what do I do to keep my external hard rive?

I have a WD external hard drive and a Macbook Pro from 2011. I just installed OS X Yosemite and after the install it said that my WD smartware wasn't compatible with Apple now. What do I do now to keep my data backing up properly? Am I still going to be able to use my old backup? Thanks for any help offered.

iPhone 4, iOS 5, using a two year old macbook pro

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 4:33 PM

1 reply

Sep 2, 2015 4:42 PM in response to hutchsf

Have you checked with WD for any upgrades to the software? If there isn't any and you have been using that software to backup your computer, then you will need to repartition the drive (erases all the data on the drive) and reformat it. You may then start new backups using Time Machine or other backup software.

Basic Backup

For some people Time Machine will be more than adequate. Time Machine is part of OS X. There are three components:

1. A Time Machine preferences panel as part of System Preferences;

2. A Time Machine application located in the Applications folder. It is

used to manage backups and to restore backups. Time Machine

requires a backup drive that is at least twice the capacity of the

drive being backed up.

3. Time Machine requires a backup drive that is at least double the

capacity of the drive(s) it backs up.

Other Suggested Backup Software

1. Carbon Copy Cloner

2. Get Backup

3. Deja Vu

4. SuperDuper!

5. Synk Pro

6. Tri-Backup

Others may be found at MacUpdate.

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on backup and restore. Also read How to Back Up and Restore Your Files.

my wdsmartware is incompatible with Yosemite. what do I do to keep my external hard rive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.