Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New hard drive late 2011 MBP 13"

So my question is two-pronged. I have a late 2011 MBP 13.3" and there are 2 issues. Firstly, upon opening from sleep mode, the screen will sometimes be half-black. I open and close a few times and it'll be back to good. It never goes out while I'm using it, only when waking it up from sleep mode. I am aware of the P-RAM reset, and will give that a shot. But my next question is...it's been getting intolerably slow and hot lately. To the point where I can't even use it anymore. I am running the latest version of Yosemite, and just simple browsing will cause the fan to turn off, and BAM, the spinning wheel comes to life, and the computer will freeze up. I'm thinking about cracking it open and throwing in a new SSD since it's cheaper than a new computer (on a serious budget).

Is it worth putting in a new HD with the screen issue?

Will a new HD be compatible with yosemite? I've read conflicting things about this...

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 6:59 PM

1 reply

Sep 2, 2015 8:31 PM in response to diesel2101

Back up your Mac if you have not done so already. To learn how to use Time Machine read Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support.

Is it worth putting in a new HD with the screen issue?

You may be able to diagnose the HDD by examining system.log using Console. Read below.

Back up your Mac if you have not already done so. To learn how to to that read Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support.

If your Mac is momentarily unresponsive, consider the following.

Launch the Console app - it is in your Utilities folder. You can find it by selecting Utilities from the Finder's Go menu.

If the log list column on the left is not already displayed, show the log list by selecting Show Log List from Console's View menu. Select Show Toolbar if it is not already shown.

Locate system.log in the list and select it. Many date and time-stamped entries will appear, hundreds of them, and you must find the entries relevant to your Mac's problem.

To do that click the Clear Display button in the Toolbar. All previously displayed log entries will be disappear.

Next: Perform whatever actions cause the Mac to exhibit the slow behavior. If the problem is caused by errors logged by the system, the Console window will show them being recorded in system.log.

One or more of them, along with their time stamps, may reveal the reason for the problem you describe.

Copy and paste those log entries in a reply. If hundreds of the same repetitive messages appear, please edit them before posting. There should be no need for more than a few log entries.

Will a new HD be compatible with yosemite? I've read conflicting things about this...

Yosemite does not care about the media on which it's installed. You can install Yosemite on a USB-connected iPod Classic and boot your Mac with it using Startup Manager. It runs fine. An SSD would be ideal though.

New hard drive late 2011 MBP 13"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.