Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MackBook doesn`t let me log in. It takes to the profiles page, when I write down my passaword, nothing happens, I havetried many times, and I`m sure I`m writing the correct password. Any help?

As soon as I turn my MacBook on, it takes me to the "profiles page", where I can select my profile, and write my password; However, after writing my password nothing happens, it does not seem to be loading or anything like that. I have tried many times to turn it off manually, and turn it back on, but the same thing keeps happening. It also made me change the password, even though I was writing the correct one. But still, whenever I want to start the computer with this new password, nothing happens. Any help? Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 5:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2015 5:43 PM

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2015 5:43 PM in response to abtaiar

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Sep 10, 2015 5:43 PM in response to Linc Davis

It did not work, I followed all the instructions, but the problem is still there.

I took it to my college`s Campus Tech, and they said it has a "bad hard drive" in it; however, the conclusion of the diagnosis test was "No issues found on the hard drive," or something like that. I also ran the another diagnosis test, the one that takes a little longer to be completed, and the result was the same.

They told me that the hard drive must be replaced, but the computer is relatively new, it has just completed 2 years. what should I do next? Hard Drive + replacement will be more than $200. If I have no other option, is it a good price?

Thank you.

Sep 11, 2015 9:13 AM in response to Linc Davis

I don`t think I would be able to do it by myself.

I don`t think the people who work, or tried to work, on my computer put enough effort into it, so they just passed the problem to someone else. If I take it to an Apple Store, do you think they could run some tests to check what is really going on?

But the most important question is: Don`t you think that the my MacBook is too new to have a HD prblem?

Thank you.

My MackBook doesn`t let me log in. It takes to the profiles page, when I write down my passaword, nothing happens, I havetried many times, and I`m sure I`m writing the correct password. Any help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.