Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I forgot my master password how to remove or reset

Hi I forgot my master password and can't change it. I can log in fine and all but can't change it. Is there a way to to reset or remove it? I deleted the file vault passwords in the key chains but still has the current one. I set it up a while ago and now I can't remember. Help....

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 2, 2015 5:31 PM

6 replies

Sep 2, 2015 5:58 PM in response to bosebosewave13

There is no Master password, unless you are talking about a File Vault encryption password. If you have forgotten that, and you did not accept the option when initiating the encryption to have Apple store the password for you, there is no way to recover or reset the encryption password. Your only option in that case is to erase the hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Sep 2, 2015 5:38 PM in response to bosebosewave13

Restart your iMac holding the Command and R keys. When it restarts, from the Utilities drop down menu choose Terminal. When Terminal opens, type EXACTLY:

resetpassword

and press Enter.

When the Reset Password window opens, select the internal drive, select the user account, the admin account in this case, and type a new password twice. Then Save, and accept the next dialog window that opens. Bottom right of the Reset Password window, reset the home folder permissions for the user.

Go to the apple left side of the menu bar, Restart and you are done.

I forgot my master password how to remove or reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.